List of All Federal, Provincial and Municipal Incentives for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in Canada.
There are several incentive programs available to help Canadians make the acquisition of an electric car, a plug-in hybrid EV or a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. These rebates are normally managed by one of the three main levels of government: federal, provincial, or municipal. These programs are only valid for residents of the concerned territory.
If you are looking for more savings, we also have a list of incentives for the acquisition and installation of a level 2 home charging station in Canada.
Federal Incentive for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in Canada: iVZE Program
In order to reduce greenhouse gas in Canada, the Government of Canada has created a financial incentive to promote the acquisition of zero-emission vehicles like fully electric cars, plug-in hybrids, and hydrogen fuel-cell cars. The incentive amounts to $2,500 for EVs with a battery of less than 15 kWh and $5,000 for those with a battery of 15 kWh or more. The rebate applies to both purchases and leases, as long as the car respects the following criteria:
- Electric cars or plug-in hybrids with 6 passengers or less, and an MSRP lower than $45,000. It is possible to add up to $10,000 in options as long as the final MSRP is under $55,000.
- Electric cars or plug-in hybrids with 7 passengers or more, and an MSRP lower than $55,000. It is possible to add up to $5,000 in options as long as the final MSRP is under $60,000.
To learn more about each individual model, check the list of all eligible vehicles according to their year and version.
The incentive is available since May 1st, 2019 and is applied by the dealerships when you purchase or lease your 100% electric vehicle or your plug-in hybrid. Dealerships are responsible to fill all the required documentation.
Find out all of the program’s details on the Government of Canada’s official website.
Provincial Incentive for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in Quebec
It is possible for residents of the province of Quebec to benefit from a financial help that can go up to $8,000 for the purchase or lease of a 100% electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid. You can check the list of all eligible new cars. The final incentive amount varies according to the type of EV/PHEV bought or leased:
- $8,000 if the car is 100% electric, and the MSRP is below $75,000
- $3,000 if the car is 100% electric, and the MSRP is between $75,000 and $125,000
- $500 for a plug-in hybrid with a battery between 4 and 7 kWh, and an MSRP below $75,000
- $4,000 for a plug-in hybrid with a battery between 7 and 15 kWh, and an MSRP below $75,000
- $8,000 for a plug-in hybrid with a battery above 15 kWh, and an MSRP below $75,000
- $8,000 if the car works with hydrogen and the MSRP is below $75,000
- $3,000 if the car works with hydrogen and the MSRP is between $75,000 and $125,000
- $1,000 for a low-speed electric vehicle
- $2,000 for an electric motorcycle
- $500 for a low-speed electric motorcycle (scooter)
This incentive is managed by dealerships at the moment of the transaction. For all the Quebec incentive details, you can visit the program official website.
Provincial Incentive for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in British Columbia
In British Columbia, a $5,000 incentive is available for people who want to get a 100% electric vehicle, and $2,500 to $5,000 for a plug-in hybrid EV. A list of eligible vehicles is available to help you choose. Here are the conditions to determine the final amount:
- Electric cars with batteries: $5,000
- Hydrogen vehicles: $5,000
- Plug-in hybrid cars with a battery above 15 kWh: $5,000
- Plug-in hybrid cars with a battery between 4 and 15 kWh: $2,500
You can visit the official website for all the CEV for the BC incentive program details.
In parallel with this incentive, it is possible to benefit from the Scrap It program that grants up to $6,000 if you send your car to the pound. All the program details can be found here.
Municipal Incentives for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in Canada
Some cities in Canada want to support the electrification of transportation on their territories and to do so, have created incentives to help their citizens acquire or lease electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids.
Incentive for Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids in Laval, Quebec
The city of Laval offers a financial help of $2,000 to its citizens who want to drive a 100% electric vehicle. The program doesn’t apply to plug-in hybrids. Here are the conditions to be eligible:
- 100% electric vehicle, incentive does not apply to plug-in hybrids
- The battery must be of 15 kWh or more
- Must be made for use on public roads
- MSRP must be below $60,000
- New car or demonstrator with less than 10,000 km, and registered for the first time in Quebec
All the details and conditions of admission are available on the city of Laval website.
Provincial, and Municipal Incentives for a Level 2 Home Charger in Canada
We also suggest that you get familiar with the incentives available for the purchase and installation of a level 2 home charging station. These chargers allow you to charge your fully electric car up to 5 times faster, and your PHEV up to 3 times faster. Find out now how much you could save with the incentives for EV charging at home.